Beware of Crypto Mining

Beware of Crypto Mining from your own computer.



Why do I say this? It seems to be against so much of what you see on the Internet these days.
So many sites advocate mining for Bitcoins or other Crypto currencies from your browser or directly from your computer,  using the idle "brain" time of your  CPU (processor) or GPU (graphics processing unit, also a processor).

Please be careful and look carefully into this before you undertake any idle time mining.

I have tried this both from applications running on my computer and from my browser (in my case, Chrome, but these mining apps work on other browsers as well).

Here is what I found: ...

These applications are beautifully presented and they claim to operate invisibly on your computer, working quietly in the background to earn you Crypto currencies. This was so exciting that I often left my computer running all night while I was asleep.

I found that the applications could even be set to operate in a less impactful state,  eg 50% effective. However, they carefully point out to you that if you do set them at the lower rate, you will accordingly earn less. This is indeed true, but I found that even at the lower rate, there is a sort of creep effect, so that over time, they grab more and more of your computer's resources, and eventually, your computer's resources are fully utilised.

And here is the major issue with these applications. When your computer's resources are fully utilised, your CPU and GPU will operate at 100% ALL the time. They will not have the time to reduce activity and cool down, so your computer's temperature heats up and stays hot - this results in the computer's fan running at a higher speed to try and compensate for the higher temperature.

So let's look at the result of this. Higher activity in your computer's resources means more use of power and higher fan speed also means more use of power. Your electricity bill is going to increase quite significantly -  mine did, and it was this red flag that made me carefully relook at Crypto mining using my computer's resources. Your computer will also become less responsive to your own requests and will slow down considerably.

In addition to the above, the service life of any computer constantly running at 100% usage will be reduced somewhat.

If you are running these Crypto mining applications on your computer, please check your electricity bill to see by how much it has risen, see also if your computer has slowed down in it's response times. You will now need to decide whether the results you are getting from this mining activity are worth the extra cost of power and the aggravation of a less responsive computer.

I checked this out by disabling the mining activities on my browser for two months and found that I could reduce my power bill by a noticeable amount, and that my computer became much more responsive. I saved more money by reducing my power bill than I was earning through running the mining applications on my computer.

These mining applications allow, and advise you to build a downline of people using the same applications so that you can earn more Crypto currency in the form of commission. I found that you would need a very large downline (thousands) to make this profitable, but each of them would have the same issues I mentioned above.

The choice is always yours, and this post is intended only to bring your attention to the issue of Crypto mining on your personal computer.
Please be aware and be careful.

If you found this post useful,  please click the image below to subscribe to my newsletter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5K Formula

Your Own Products?